April 27, 2010

Twitter, Design, and Questions

I got Twitter yesterday.

I know.

To begin with, I only half-understand it. All those # and @ and RTs and stuff...it's a little bit confusing. But I'd be lying if I didn't say that my confusion is what lead me to join. How does that even make sense? My logic is this: I'm too young to not understand Twitter. Does that make any sense? Is that a good mindset? I'm pretty sure the answer to both of those questions is no, but there you have it. I've always grown up with computers and technology; it's something I enjoy. And it would appear that Twitter is here to stay...and if I can't keep up with Web 2.0 when I'm 22, I'll probably be totally clueless when I'm 30. And it's Web 3.0 or whatever.

ANYWAY, all of that silly justification went out the window after I saw this -- a tweet from @sesamestreet (see what I did there? That's Twitter speak. Try to keep up.) saying: "Cookie Monster: Today me ate: chocolate cookie, oatmeal cookie, peanut butter cookie, and tofu stir fry. What, you think cookie all me eat?" I love it!


And really, while I think Twitter may be - as High School Beth put it - "just another thing to check," there are a few interesting things I've gleaned from it. I follow mostly people or entities that I don't personally know (NPR blogs/shows/folks, bands, muppets, etc.) and I get some fun little tidbits. As of now, I don't feel tied down to it. I'm not concerned about gettin' my Tweet on regularly. It's mostly just for fun info, not for socialization. I'll let Facebook suck away all of that time, thank you very much. 


In other news, I have a new blog layout! You can thank Twitter for that. I got all excited about picking colors and designs that I decided it was time for a little makeover here. I'm pleased with the results. I'm not a graphic designer, but whatev. This'll do for me!


Finally, there's the job hunt. I'm no longer vying for a CCO position, as it's been filled by someone else. And while any rejection comes with its sting, God prepared my heart for it well. I'm still anxious, and a bit at sea when it comes to what my future will look like, but I'm trying to use this uncertainty as an opportunity to rest in the Lord's sovereignty. Prayers are welcome, as the hunt for a job (preferably one teaching art) continues. There are some good leads, but no answers to all these questions for now. 

Now I just have to learn to let that be okay.

1 comment:

  1. i love your new layout. i'm interested to know what you think about twitter after a while. i'm intrigued, too--especially as a way to catch up on issues i care about, etc--but i'm wary of another online time suck...keep us posted:)
    sorry about the cco. i know there is a sweet art position out there for you!

    ReplyDelete