March 8, 2010

Kitchen Magic: One Ingredient Ice Cream

I love food blogs. I love looking at pretty pictures of food, I love attempting to recreate dishes I find online (though our food resources at the local grocery store are kind of lame), and I love just makin' stuff up in the kitchen. The other day I found something on a food blog that I couldn't really believe: one ingredient ice cream. 

"One ingredient, Stef?" you might be saying, "How is that even possible?" Well, I appreciate your polite disbelief. I will now dispel it.

IMG_1409

It goes like this: Get yourself a banana that's pretty ripe. You know, the mushy brown speckled variety that is getting close to the end of its days. You can use less-ripe bananas, but they don't blend as well, and that "green" flavor becomes a little bit overwhelming, so I found it's better to use those mushy buggers. Peel it, slice it, and put the pieces in the freezer for a couple of hours, until they're frozen. 1-2 hours ought to do it, but if you leave it in there longer it won't cause any issues. 

IMG_1411

Pile the frozen banana coins into your food processor. A blender works okay, but you have to do a lot more fanagling with your spatula to make sure everything gets blended evenly. 

 IMG_1412

WHIRRRRR go the bananas! They'll get crumbly like this...that means you're close! The magic will be starting shortly. Use a spatula to mush everything in there so it's all getting annihilated together. Unless you want chunks, I guess.


IMG_1413


And then: TA DA! Your crumbly banana turns into a creamy, sweet desert. The texture is almost identical to soft serve ice cream. It's also delicious. I don't really like bananas that get too mushy, but they are awesome in this form! Also? The improv you can do here is pretty awesome. Blend in a spoonful of peanut butter, or maybe some honey? Nutella, chocolate syrup, frozen berries...I could go on, but that would mean I would be keeping you from making this for yourself. And that just wouldn't be right.





1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete